Thursday 17 March 2011

Riding drunk!

14th March

Hello everyone. Whats up. So on this day, I went bicycle riding through the wine road, something that is highly recommended for all who ever stays in Mendoza, as Mendoza is famous for its wineries. So taking the bus to Mr Hugo, the bike provider, with Donna, Hilda and Rory, we settled off on the terrible bumpy rocky cracked road.

Our first stop was the futherest and best winery. Capable of producing 200000 litres of wine, but only 100000 due to the aged vine yards, it makes very high quality wine. After a brief tour of the storage, the yard and everything else, we proceded to the wine tasting. Now, I personally hate wine. Wine sucks. But I refuse to waste a drop. So I got to taste 5 types of wine, the rosette, malbec, the malbec and rosette mixed in favour of the malbec, then in favour of the rosette. Then I tried the Malbec one year old in french oak barrel. Its much stronger than the Malbec 6 months in french oak.

After this winery, we arrived at our next winery. A smaller winery, as it still retains its old buildings from before the earthquake. It mainly produces high quality wine rather huge quantities. Being such a traditional winery, it still posess its cellar, allowing natural storage of wine. Here I got to taste 5 wines I think it was. The same as above, but with an addition of a sweet desert type wine.

After drinking so much wine, I started feeling abit woozy. So staying at the winery, I bought an expensive lunch. To be fair, it is my first time eating out in Argentina. This does not include panchos and such. It was chicken in beer something, with rice and salad as a side. It taste much better than I described it.

After wards, we went to the next winery, but here we didnt have to pay for a tour. I just took some grapes, drank a small amount of wine and off we went. Next stop, the one I was looking foward to the most, the chocolate factory. Now, when I thought of this, I thought it be like Willy Wonka. Nope, its mainly chocolate alcohol. So paying a fee, I got to taste many olive variations, such as olives and chilli peppers, sun dried olives, blah blah. After came the spreads, varying from different fruits and the variations of dulche de leche (its the Argentinian special spread only found in this country). After came the shots of alcohol. So I managed to taste chocolate mint, some grape thing, Absenth, Pineapple and coconut, and thats all I remember. So, Im quite sore after the bike ride and yeah...it was pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment