Tuesday 26 July 2011

Fighting mosquitoes in Porto Velho

Dear Friends and Family.

I wish I was in beautiful England now.

So my bus ride wasn't too bad. For the price I paid, I was pleasantly surprised. It was comfatable and I wad able to sleep. That sleep was disturbed however when we all has to get off the bus to get on a ferry that took us all across a river. So Sean and I arrived to Porto Velho quite exhausted. So we quickly caught a taxi to our hotel and slept most of the day away. 

I must say, I was actually surprised to see Porto Velho to be so developed. It had actual pavements instead of dirt tracks! 

So far whilst I have been here, Sean and I have explored the town out of neccessity. We had to find a cheap place to eat and if possible, a cheaper place to stay. Really, I sometimes think Lonely Planet has too much of a high standard in choosing a bed and a place to eat. We had some success in finding a cheap place to eat, and in the process we saw a few sights. One being these 3 water towers that seem to have some sort of significance to the town. Another is the park and market next to the river. It's surprisingly a big park which would undoubtedly be a nice place to kick back and take a nap.... If I wasn't plagued by mosquitoes. It seems whenever I lack DEET on my body, they strike, whether it be my leg, toe or butt. 

Today I went for a jog with Sean. It was a nice jog. Especially when we got kicked out of the military training grounds when we started to use their equipment. Obviously we knew not that it belonged to the military, or we would have at the very least stole a dumb bell before we walked off. I jest, I don't intend to get shot anytime soon. We also bought our hammocks which will be used when we board our boat to Manaus, which leaves tomorrow 9am. It should take around 4 or 5 days to arrive to the capital of the Amazon. I hope it isn't too hyped up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment