Tuesday 26 July 2011

Experience of Puerto Maldonado

Hi everyone.

Well, first I like to apologize for this late post. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to do this.

Puerto Maldonado wasn't all bad. Sure it was expensive, food, water and accomodation wise. Sure the temperature did not make me any happier about the situation. And yes, the mosquitoes did come back at me with a vengeance seeking my blood due to my long absent from them. But all in all, the place didn't suck as I thought it would. Sean and I found an amazing shop stand that sold these wonderfully chilled drinks called refresco. From what I could tell, it's a mix of blended juices and water, where the juices vary from the black corn, chica to apple. 

We also did a few sight seeing excursions. Two locations were interesting. The first being on our arrival to this town. First we tried to enter the plaza de armas, which is the town centre. But to my dismay and annoyance, the place was surrounded by the military, where they actually searched my bag for weapons! I later found out why. Today was the day of the celebratory opening of the bridge that will connect the western river bank to the east. This involved the appearance of a previous popular president of Peru. Unfortunately, this reduced us of having any chance of finding a cheap hostel; so we resorted to one that is apparently "backpacker" prices. Backpacker prices my ass I scoff.

The next sight was the town's obelisk. It's just like any one obelisk I have seen in my travels. Except this was smaller and less impressive.

Our departure from here was almost a failure if not for our precaution. Before departing to the terminal, I visited the ticket office to enquire where our bus would leave. We quickly found out that we had to cross the river by boat in order to reach our bus! Here I was able to really appreciate how useful the bridge will be when it's actually open. In the end we did manage to catch our bus, and off we went to Rio Branco, our first step into Brazil and surely a place where I'm sure will be worse than here.

No comments:

Post a Comment