Tuesday 16 August 2011

Manaus, first look at the amazon

Hi everyone

To start off, boats are stupid. We left the port and after some walking about,'we reaLized that our port was nowhere on the lonely planet map. But using my horrid portuguese skills, I managed to obtain a general direction of where our hostel is. Sean wanted to get a taxi, but after y experience in Porto Velho, I think not.

Manaus has been fairly entertaining. A few urkes here and there but all in all, it was a fairly nice way to see the rainforest without the huge price tag. 

I visited a rainforest reserve where they outfitted it for tourism. So entering it, I got to see huge trees, manatees, otters, creepy gigantic bugs and alligators. Well worth the  small price of 5 reals. What wasnt worth it was the day before, Sean and I took a 3 hour wAlk to reach it, only to find out it was closed! I blame the deceptive maps. And after visiting the reserve, we got on a wrong bus and ended up in a university campus! But no trouble came of it. It just took us longer to get home.

We also did a few walks around Manaus just to check it out.
We scoped out the pink theatre house and the pink government building...I'm starting to think South America has a pink building fetish, as Buenos Aires also had pink building as the presidents crib.

No comments:

Post a Comment